IPL vs. Laser Hair Removal
- Many Salons and Clinics claim to provide lasers, when in fact they only use IPL, and an IPL is mistakenly referred to as a Laser. We want to clear up any misconceptions.
- IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light and is not a Laser. Laser has 3 unique properties.
- Monochromatic: produces pure colour of light. The light emitted from a laser is of one wavelength (colour). White light is a mixture of colours.
- Coherent: Moves in a coherent manner and not a random motion like an IPL.
- Collimated: the parallel nature of the laser beam. The light beam of a Laser is focused tightly over long distances.Page 20 laser handbook pic.
- Less effective technology for removing hair.
- A lot cheaper to buy than Lasers
- Considered to be “jack of all trades masters of none”
- IPLs cannot safely be used on dark skin types
- Normally uses gel as cooling method which is messy
- IPLs are more uncomfortable – more intense flash of light.
- IPLs are slow – long pulse delivery.
- More effective & more selective
- Vapourises the hair – immediate satisfaction to client in comparison to IPL.
- More published clinical evidence for laser hair removal compared to IPL
- Penetrates deeper into the skin, more effective for darker thicker hairs – IPLs only penetrate 2mm.
- Better cooling devices, such as cold air, cryogen spray
- Lasers are more expensive to buy than IPLs.
So to summarise:
- Treatment performed using an IPL is not as effective for hair removal. Laser uses just one wavelength to target hair follicles. Therefore Laser energy is far more focused than a IPL energy. The treatment settings with our Laser machines are more accurate and precise so we can individualise treatments for each client.
- When IPL is used for hair removal there is also a greater risk of causing damage to the skin, such as changes to skin pigmentation or burning.
So why do so many Clinics/Salons use IPL?
- The cost of IPL equipment is a lot cheaper than Laser equipment.
- IPL equipment is more versatile as it can perform a number of skin treatments as well as Laser Hair Removal. So really is an all in one machine.
Reason to come to us!
- Our Clinics use specific Laser equipment depending on your hair and skin type for the sole purpose of hair removal and we have different equipment for skin treatments.
- We use the most up-to- date equipment for safe and effective hair removal, to give you perfect results every time.
- Our Lasers are continuously maintained by our in-house laser engineers.
- Affordable prices using the most up to date Laser technology